On April 16, 1939 the Resolution of Council of People’s Commissars Kyrgyz was accepted the Soviet Socialist Republic which first point said “To open since September 1, 1939 in the city of Frunze the Kyrgyz State medical institute, with a set on 1 course of 200 people of students”. The base of the higher medical school was put by professors and teachers from Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kharkov and Kiev. In 1943 the first release of students of Medical institute – 120 doctors took place.
On July 5, 1996 the State Medical Institute is transformed by the Decree of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic to the Kyrgyz State Medical Academy. In the institute organization invaluable assistance showed the 1st Moscow, Leningrad, Almaty, Tashkent and other medical institutes. They rendered advisory and organizational assistance, provided with medical literature and directed pedagogical shots for permanent job at institute.
Chairs of history CPSU and political economy, normal anatomy, biology, histology, the general chemistry, physics, foreign languages and others for which 16 teachers worked were organized. During the Great Patriotic War to Kyrgyzstan the 2nd Kharkov medical and stomatologic institute and the Moscow stomatologic institute which joined KGMI were evacuated. Burdens of a wartime complicated institute work.
In 1943 the first release of students of our institute in number of 120 people took place, and all this year 250 doctors were let out. After the end of war since 1948 transition on 6 – summer term of training began. On the 2nd course the state end-of-year examinations in anatomy, histology, physiology and biochemistry were entered. In the fifties enrollment of students increased and transition to profile preparation of doctors began. In the sixties at institute the programmed control of knowledge with use of technical means was entered. Scientific bases of studying of disciplines were developed: educational elements, levels of their assimilation, graphological structures, etc. In the seventies in the solution of problems of physiology, pathology, adaptation of an organism to mountain conditions the medical institute becomes the leader in the USSR. Communications with scientific Institutes of the Soviet republics were developed on qualitatively new basis: contracts on creative cooperation with many scientific research institutes and country Higher education institutions were formed. On republican research bases and laboratories under the leadership of scientists of our institute joint scientific expeditions were carried out.
In the eighties educational and methodical and research process is considerably improved. KGMI on problems of studying of mountain medicine comes to the international scene that promoted strengthening of integration scientific communications. In connection with structural changes in 1996 the decree of the President of the Kyrgyz Republic the institute is reorganized into the Kyrgyz State Medical Academy. The administration carries out measures for academy transition to conditions of market economy There is a contract system of training. There is a modernization of educational and methodical and scientific research process. Since 2000 in KGMA introduction of the new training programs adapted for the international standards is begun. Now in KGMA there are medical, pediatric, stomatologic faculties, faculty on training of foreign citizens and Institutes of the pharmacy, the Higher sisterly education, Management and public health care, Medical school. Besides, the Institute of postdegree training of KGMA, Research institute of fundamental problems of medicine and biology and the Center of the International cooperation function. The academy prepares doctors for the countries of the foreign and neighboring countries, training is conducted in Russian and English languages.